Our company philosophy
Since its foundation in 1969, VEKA has developed from a small-scale operation at a regional level into a globally leading, international company group with subsidiaries on three continents.
But we have also remained a family-run company which focuses on the needs of the people who work here – and the desire to comprehensively fulfil our customer’s needs and desires in a partner-like manner. It is a goal that we can only achieve through the commitment of every single one of our employees as well as openness, fairness and a high level of personal responsibility across the entire company.
We train our employees in tailored qualification programmes designed to suit their personal skills and current market demands. Every member of staff can make a contribution and take advantage of the open training opportunities.
At our factory school, employees can visit a broad range of specialist lectures and seminars. They also have the opportunity to acquire an 'Extrusion and Film Coating' certificate.
Once a year, our employees are given an appraisal of their development level and in turn have the opportunity to providetheir superior with feedback. At this interview, individual goals are set for the coming year and career development measures are agreed. In addition, our employees enjoy individual career development support, such as:
- Management training every two years with changing focuses
- International training plan for managers
- Familiarisation plan for new employees
- English lessons
- Individual external specialist seminars
- In-house training
Communication and information
We inform our employees about the latest company developments, successes and strategies, so that they understand how and why decisions have been made. For instance, we organise company meetings three times a year where we report on turnover, profits, current projects and changes.
In addition, regular departmental meetings, updates on company noticeboards and the intranet, an in-house employee magazine, flat hierarchies and direct information chains all contribute to the open information culture within the company.
The health of our employees is particularly important to us. That is why we encourage them to take care of their bodies and why we support numerous health initiatives and programmes:
- Company integration management
- Regular occupational check-ups
- Vaccinations for international postings and flu vaccinations for all
- Addiction working group
- Group sports
- Balanced menu in the canteens
- Regular in-house massages
- Health circle with regular activities such as check-ups and back exercises
- Allowances for employees aged 50 and over to help pay for fitness centre memberships
Combining family and career
Achieving a healthy balance between work and family is a challenge for us all. We go to great lengths to ensure that our employees have the best opportunities possible, for instance with:
- Flexible hours for employees based on personal agreement between employees and supervisors
- Shift model 2000 featuring the option of free shifts
- Home office in applicable cases
- Option for part-time work
- Advice on and organisation of care for older relatives - in collaboration with the Heinrich & Rita Laumann Foundation
- Family coordinator
- Scheme to maintain contact with staff on parental leave
- Time off work for each child’s first day at school
- Mother and child office
- provide childcare during school holidays
Having fun at work and developing a strong sense of community: these are the best forms of motivation. We strengthen the cohesion of the 'VEKA family' through numerous joint activities, such as:
- Annual Christmas party
- Company party in jubilee years
- Rewards for remaining accident-free in the form of departmental events
- VEKA football tournament with supporting programme for the whole family (every two years)
- VEKA European football championship (every four years)
- Annual cycle tour for employees
- Annual certification ceremony and two-day tour for trainees
- Annual party for pensioners and employees aged 60 and over
A helping hand in the region
We support social institutions and sponsor sport and culture in the region. For example, the rental income generated through the solar plant on our roof is passed on to sports clubs and social organisations. We are particularly keen on supporting projects that provide opportunities to young people. That is why we for instance collaborate with local schools and support them through job application training, work experience and factory visits.